Mission: Lovelane Special Needs Horseback Riding Inc. is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit therapeutic riding
program located in Lincoln, MA. In a fun, supportive environment, Lovelane provides high-quality
therapeutic horseback riding to achieve occupational, physical, speech, cognitive and other therapeutic
gains, focusing on children with special needs.
Overview: A Summer Internship at Lovelane will focus on three areas of our organization: 1) horse care,
including barn work, herd health, facility care and maintenance and volunteer management; 2) program
assistance, including lesson participation, game creation, sidewalking and leading in lessons; 3) nonprofit
Expectation: Commit to 20-30 hours per week for a minimum of four weeks. At the end of the term, the
intern will participate in a short, planned presentation with staff-provided lesson demonstration. You
will be expected to invite up to 10 guests to this presentation to learn about your experience at Lovelane
and about our program. Staff will work with you to plan and present the demonstration. This is your
opportunity to share what you’ve learned over the course of your Lovelane Summer Internship!
• Follow barn schedule and execute barn chores including, but not limited to: cleaning stalls,
picking paddocks, dump/scrub/fill water, sweep, measure & feed grain, feed hay, and horse
• Work with Lovelane volunteers to safely carry out tasks
• Help tack, lead and/or sidewalk in lessons if/when needed
• Assist with researching and creating games for lessons based on instructor’s requirements
• Set up for lessons/strike lessons
• Assist with group and unmounted activities for youth in our program including crafts, physical
games/activities using the Lovelane environment
• Assist students in learning to groom and tack while keep students safe at all times
• Meet with management to understand the business side of Lovelane and be prepared to ask
• Meetings will include discussions on non profits, budget, fundraising, grant wring, events and
• Some time may be dedicated to preparing for fundraising events depending on the year
• Must be 17 years or older
• Be able to commit to a weekly schedule of 20-30 hours per week for a minimum of four weeks
• Must complete weekly timesheet and have it signed off by management
• Must have experience with horse care, handling and be knowledgeable of horse behavior
• Ability to tack and lead horses in therapeutic horseback riding lessons
• Safely lift up to 40 lbs
• Must complete presentation requirement
• Work cooperatively with the barn and program team
• Be a Lovelane ambassador and help to engage others in Lovelane’s mission
• Possess a desire for and strong belief in Lovelane’s core values: positivity, collaboration, goodwill,
respect, compassion, excellence and fun
1. Please click here to fill out the Lovelane Volunteer Application
2. Provide a resume which includes two references
3. Provide a cover letter explaining your interest and unique qualifications
The Application process is open from January 1 – April 15, 2022 for Summer Internships.
Internship start date is June or July and is negotiable.
Applications will be summitted online. Resume with references and letter should be emailed to: Lisa
Williams, Volunteer Manager at email@example.com.
Lovelane is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all staff, volunteers and interns.